Sunday, October 2, 2016

Band - September 29, 2016


Before I begin to describe my band experience, I need to comment on something a teacher said to me.  It was an off-the-cuff comment and I don't think the teacher meant any harm by it.  However, it got me thinking about people's perceptions of this challenge I have given to myself.  The teacher said, "you think you can just walk in and teach anyone's class?"  No, I don't!  Part of this challenge is the collaboration and preparation.  I spend time each week meeting with the teacher, learning about where they are in the curriculum, and asking questions.  Then I take the lesson home with me and prepare.  I do homework, I listen, I gather more questions!  Then I meet with the teacher again.  It is all part of the experience for me.  I know I am not an expert and that each of these experiences is not going to be perfect.  But that is why it is intriguing for me.  I am thankful for the positive response I have gotten to my adventure and I look forward to working with all the teachers in our building.

This week I got to strike up the band!  I have had some music experience in my background.  In high school I played several different instruments and sang in the choir.  I went to a small school, so I was able to be a part of the show choir, jazz band, and many other activities as well.  So I felt pretty confident...until I stood in front of this large group!

I was able to work with Ms. Triplett before the lesson.  She explained about the pieces they were working on.  She wanted to increase the tempo and start working on dynamics.  I took the music home, practiced myself on the piano, and listened to the songs via the links Jane had sent me.  The day of my guest teaching I listened and practice my directing moves before I went in.

The students were so welcoming!  They were great listeners and willing participants.  Jane warmed them up and then we went to work.  We were able to speed up the march and it still sounded pretty good!  We examined where and why some sections of the music slowed down.  We talked about important techniques to remember when playing a fast-paced tune.  The other piece was equally good.  We didn't work on dynamics much, but it was fun.  The students wanted to play it at the fastest tempo, but they weren't quite ready when we tried it.  After class, the students thanked me for coming and seemed to have enjoyed the class,

This week's challenge was unique.  Directing the band and teaching a large, diverse class is so different from being in the classroom.  It takes different strategies and different preparation.  I learned a lot and I'm grateful to Ms. Triplett and her students for allowing me this opportunity.  It was fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment