Sunday, February 19, 2017

Shadow a Student - February 16, 2017

I recently participated in the national Shadow a Student challenge.  I thought this was a great way to experience life as a Northwest Junior High student.  And it really goes along with my goals for the year - connecting with students and staff.  I chose Tyquanna, an 8th grade student, to shadow.  She wanted to make sure she wasn't in trouble, but then thought it sounded like a cool idea.  I chose her because she is an average student - no learning support classes, no advanced classes, no music.  She is also a student that has come a long way in her two short years at Northwest.  She has grown and matured so that she is prepared to be successful in high school.  I'm really proud of her.

We started our day doing volunteer work in the modified special ed class.  This was probably my most favorite part of the day.  It was fun to work with the students and even more fun to see Tyquanna thriving with these students.  She was kind, patient, and helpful.  It was a great example of how very different students can work together and make each other better people.

The rest of the morning was filled with academic classes.  The afternoon had two study halls and two academic classes.  A couple of my take-aways from these experiences included hunger and boredom.  After working hard all morning, I was starving by lunch!  Now I know why so many students complained first trimester about lunch being late.  We did move it up, but I was definitely hungry.  I was also really bored in the afternoon.  Two study halls and a language arts class that was having a reading day did not make for a very exciting learning experience.  No wonder why students end up sleeping or acting out.  I also learned why students complain about not having enough time between classes.  Sure, you can make it from one room to the next without a problem in four minutes.  However, if you need to use the bathroom or want to talk with your friends for the first time all day - it is nearly impossible.

I did see lots of good things happening in classes.  Teachers were always prepared and they seamlessly included me in their class, like I was just another student.  You could see the pride teachers take in their lessons and their craft.  This was unlike an evaluative lesson where they knew I was coming and prepped a special lesson.  I told them the day before that I was planning to be there, but I don't think I gave them enough warning to change their plans.  It was so great to see teachers in their element working with all types of students.

I encourage anyone who can take the time to shadow a student to do so.  I learned a lot about our school, our teachers, and the experiences we are giving our students.  Thanks to my student for letting me tag along all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment