Sunday, December 11, 2016

Math 7 - December 8, 2016




Another math class!  Luckily I had the opportunity to teach a couple of other times for Mr. Mayer when there was not a sub, so I had an idea of how his class works and what the routine was.  Mr. Mayer does a great job being prepared - having Smart Board lessons ready to go, essential questions posted, and the assignment ready for students.  He provides just enough time for teaching as well as time left for students do some independent practice and homework.

During this particular class I was teaching students about solving for x when there were multiple number or fractions.  I had to do a little homework and brush up on my skills.  I especially struggled when a number would be negative or positive or when to add or subtract negative numbers when isolating the variable.  The students had to help me out a couple of times!  Luckily we got through it.

This class had all types of students.  Those that were engaged and totally getting it.  They were eager to answer questions and wanted to go to the board to demonstrate their understanding.  Others were timid and not quite sure, but were still trying.  Still others were doodling and not quite sure what to do.  It was a challenge to try to engage all students, help all students, and yet keep the class moving at a good pace for those students who grasped the concept early.  Most students seemed comfortable and willing to try, even if it meant they were wrong.  It was obvious that this was a safe classroom.

Time flew by and this was a good opportunity for me to feel the pressure of time and student needs.  I am impressed by our teachers every day and this gave me a first hand look at the challenges teachers face every day.  I am grateful for the opportunity to get in the classroom and to work with the awesome teachers in our building.  They truly care about the students and want them to be successful. I hope that they see the same from me!


No comments:

Post a Comment