Wednesday, January 4, 2017

One Word - Believe

Image result for believe

Inspired by other educators and principals, I decided to participate in the One Word 2017 challenge.  I have chosen Believe as my one word this year.  I had originally thought about a resolution I wanted to make and I also thought about taking my goals for the school year and doing a mid-year review.  But I chose to participate in the one word challenge and I believe it is one that truly has purpose for me.

To believe is simple yet grand.  Anyone can say they believe in something or someone.  To actually take that belief and act upon it is what makes a true believer.  I set some goals for myself this school year, including this blog and guest teaching.  Midway through the year I am continuing this goal.  I believe that this is important work.  I have spent quality time with teachers in preparation for teaching their classes.  I have gotten to teach in classrooms full of students again.  I have worked with students and shown my vulnerability as I have struggled through algebra lessons and conducting a large band.  It has been a fun experience and also one that I truly believe in.  I will continue to work toward this goal.

I believe in my students and the staff that we have at Northwest Junior High.  I finished three books during break: All American Boys, Between the World and Me, and For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood.  All three of these books had a common theme of the struggles that African American students (particularly boys) in our world today.  I believe that schools can be the catalyst for change.  Education, specifically teachers, can open up so many doors for our young people.  And the opportunities we provide for them in our schools can create change.  I believe that we have teachers who are looking for new and innovative ideas to inspire our students.  I believe that we have students who are on the precipice of change.  I believe that together we can try new things and make NWJH a place where all students feel at home and ready to learn.

I believe that this year holds great promise.  I look forward to the challenges and the successes.  I will continue to believe and to work to make those dreams come true - for me and for all those that are part of our NWJH family.  Together we can all believe!

Image result for believe                      Image result for believe

No comments:

Post a Comment