Wednesday, November 23, 2016

French - November 21, 2016

Let me begin by admitting that I have no background in French!  So I was a little worried about how this guest teaching experience was going to go.  But when I sat down with Ms. McDermott she had come up with the best plan!  She wanted the students to teach me.  They had to come up with a lesson presentation and activity.  I began to set aside my worries and get excited about this class.

I had been looking forward to it all day when someone pulled the fire alarm!  No joke!  Everyone had to parade outside in the cold and wait until the fire department gave us the all-clear.  By the time the craziness had subsided, French class was half over.  But I was determined to go and learn something!

Students were just beginning their presentations.  They welcomed me in and we got started.  I learned about conjugating verbs and about basic greetings.  And I learned to say if I liked or disliked different activities.  Some students were very brave and confident speakers.  Others were timid and careful.  Some didn't speak at all.  One of the activities was a game to see who could correctly conjugate a verb the quickest on a mini white board.  I won!  But then the group members corrected me and let me know that I had forgotten an "s".  They gave me a V2 ticket for my efforts anyway.  Another group called on different people to discuss what they like or dislike.  Of course they called on me!  I stuttered a bit, but was able to say that I like to sleep! J'aime dormir! (Dormir was the only verb on the board!) 😊

It was a short, but fun class to attend.  I really enjoyed seeing the students in action and listening to them speak.  And I am very thankful to Ms. McDermott for helping me out with a great lesson plan!  Merci!

No comments:

Post a Comment